Tuesday 5 May 2015

Has technology take over our lives?

I may be one of the slowest at this, but recently I've been out shopping and walking about spending time with my loved ones and I can't help but notice how almost every single person, including strangers, is/are so glued to their phones. Well, I wouldn't deny that I love browsing through social media apps on my phone or iPad too. But I personally feel that if we have company, shouldn't we be spending time to catch up and bond with one another rather than have our eyes stuck to our devices most of the time? It's kinda sad, really. :/ 

I was having dinner with my parents at Ichiban Sushi a couple hours ago and of course, my folks just came back from a yacht trip and I was excited to hear about their fishing and snorkelling adventures. We were just chatting for a bit, until I realised that most of the people around me were on their phones - even those who were eating. There was a family of 3 and the parents were texting/checking emails/browsing apps while their 3 or 4 year old kid was sitting there staring into space. That makes me kinda sad. They looked like a healthy family, but definitely not a happy one. 

We're a blessed generation to have the luxury of smart phones and all kinds of electronic devices and I'm thankful for that. However, we shouldn't take it for granted. We surround ourselves with family, friends and loved ones, and we should use all the time we have with them to show affection, love, care and interest. Because to be honest, we never know when will be the last time we will ever see them. We really shouldn't allow technology to live our lives for us. Us as humans have to do more than just survive, we have to live to the fullest. :) 

So try it out! Put down your devices and pick up a book or even take a walk in the park and enjoy nature's beauty. Meet up with old friends over coffee, have dinner with your family as much as you can. Life will be so much more interesting and colourful if only we step out of the world of technology for a bit, and start appreciating what we live for. 

Love, 
Louisa